Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Divergent Trilogy - Book Review

I discovered the Divergent trilogy via a list of 14 books to read before Hollywood makes the movies. I read the first one in a day and then rushed to the store the next morning to purchase the second book and read that in a day as well! I was devastated to discover that the concluding book was not to be released for another 2 months! That day has come however and once again I read the book in a day.

These books move me. Not only are they a thrilling read but they are filled with fascinating characters that are well written and diverse. The heroin 'Tris' is something of a 'Katniss' (Hunger Games) type character. In fact the books are of a similar feel and content - a post-apocalyptic world with a new society order. The fact that the books are written by a young writer makes me more in awe of her talent. Veronica Roth published the first book when she was just 23 years old and the last one just released when she is 25. Wow! Inspires me to put myself out there more!

The society Tris finds herself in is divided into 5 factions based on what the people living in those factions value above all else - Amity (peace), Dauntless (bravery/courage), Erudite (intelligence), Abnegation (selflessness), and Candor (honesty). At the age of 16, each citizen must make a choice of which faction he or she wishes to belong to. This decision is not to be taken lightly as the young person will then leave their family and live with their new faction members if they choose a faction that is not that which they were born into. A simulated test is administered before the young people are given the choice and is meant to help them discover the faction they are most suited to. Tris however discovers that she is suited to 3 different factions which is not the norm and considered dangerous. She is told she must hide her 'divergence' by the test administrator as this could lead to a life-threatening situation for her. When Tris decides to leave the faction she was born into, she finds herself in a new and challenging world.

These books are incredible. I will read them again and again. I can't wait for the movie which looks to be amazing as well although as always I'm sure I will prefer the books.





No comments:

Post a Comment