Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Frugal Food Challenge - Day 1 - Spaghetti and Meatballs

Having only decided to create this challenge at about 2pm today, I headed off to the supermarket to get our groceries - you can read about it here.

I must say - I was pretty excited with the grocery bill and I am very enthusiastic to complete this challenge with great recipes made on a low budget.

Tonight I decided to try a meal I have never made before - Spaghetti and Meatballs. After having a quick look in the Edmonds Cookbook I decided that I would base my recipe on this however with several changes.

Ingredients:
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
500g minced meat (I used mince beef but pork or turkey would work as well)
1T oil
2 carrots
400g linguine pasta
700g tomato puree
1 egg
3/4C breadcrumbs
1/2T mixed herbs
salt and pepper

Ok here are the steps....


My ingredients.


Preheat oven to 200* Celsius. In a mixing bowl combine mince, breadcrumbs,  1/2 the onion finely chopped, 1 finely chopped clove of garlic, 1/4C tomato puree, 2 carrots grated. Mix well. 


In separate bowl whisk egg and then add to mince mixture and mix well.


REMOVE ANY RINGS! VERY IMPORTANT!


Using a tablespoon, scoop out some mixture and use your hands to form a ball shape. Now you understand why you need to remove your rings! Not pretty if you ignore that step! 
Cover 1 or 2 baking trays with baking paper and place balls on top. Place in the oven for 20 mins or until cooked through.


Take two pots. In a large one, bring approx 1L of water to boil. Once water is boiling, add the pasta.
In smaller pot, add 1T of oil. Once oil is warm, add remaining clove of garlic finely chopped and remaining half of onion, also finely chopped. Cook until clear and slightly golden. Mmm smell the yummyness!
  

Add to the onion and garlic pot the rest of the tomato puree and 1T mixed herbs. Bring to boil and then simmer for 8-10 mins. 


Take a quick break, find a cute kid and watch them play with the cat while stealing kisses and cuddles...


Back to the kitchen. Place cooked pasta in casserole dish and top with cooked meatballs. 


Cover with your pasta sauce...


Top with some cheese if you have a cheese loving family like mine and place in the oven for 10 mins before switching to grill for another few minutes until cheese is nice and grilled.


Now you can replace your rings - Doesn't my hubby have good style? I love my wedding rings :)


Ohhh doesn't that just make you want to eat right now! I already had a huge bowl and now want some more just looking at it!


Dish up and enjoy! 

Note: If you choose to make this dish - be prepared to eat it all in one night - there will be none left for tomorrows lunch!!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! it looks delish! I might make this in the weekend :)
    Thanks for the recipe Ali!! xxx

    ReplyDelete